Eisenberg & Spilman PLLC | Family Law Attorneys

Call Us At: 248-469-0613

Skilled | Brilliant | Effective

Photo of the legal professionals at Eisenberg & Spilman PLLC

How can you modify your child support order?

On Behalf of | Dec 31, 2019 | child support |

Often, after a Michigan divorce and child support order, you are bound to the agreement. If you are under order to pay child support, it is crucial that you do not miss a payment. Unfortunately, if you have a financial hardship, this may prove to be difficult. If you cannot pay child support, you need to take action right away, as to not miss the payments that you owe. There are ways that you can modify the order.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services explains that you can request a modification of your child support order. You can start a child support order in a couple of different ways. First, if you receive public assistance, then the Friend of the Court will automatically review your order every 36 months. Now, just because you do not have public assistance does not mean you cannot requires a review every 36 months. You simply have to ask your Friend of the Court how you can receive a review.

Now, if it has been less than 36 months, you can still file a court motion. Once you file the motion, you need to provide four recent paycheck stubs, a copy of your federal and state income tax returns and any other useful pieces of information. If you are self-employed or if you have a business, then you may also need to offer a copy of your last three business tax returns.

The above article is meant to educate on child support orders and how you can modify them. It is not to be interpreted as legal advice.